Appignano (in the local dialect ‘Pignà’; improperly called ‘Appignano di Macerata’); is an Italian municipality with 4.500 inhabitants, in the Province of Macerata in the Italian Central-Adriatic region Marche.
Wedged in the valley of the Monocchia torrent, halfway in between sea and mountains, Appignano welcomes its visitors with a well-preserved medieval centre and mural fortification. The 15th-century town bell tower stands out on the village. The town’s pottery craftsmanship has been known for more than 500 years and for long now its area has seen the flourishing of an industrial hub in the furniture sector.
Appignano’s origins date back to the age of the Roman Empire. Anciently the village gained significant importance thanks to the production of a renowned ceramic.
Throughout the centuries its territory would gradually slit under the Papal State’s sovereignty, for being later in time part of the “Regno d’ Italia” during the second half of the XIX century.
- “Convento di Ferano”, from the XIII century, known for giving a shelter, as the legend says, to Saint Francis of Assisi.
- “Chiesa dell’Addolorata” edified during the Late Middle Ages and reconstructed from 1746;
- “Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista”, built during the XVI century and renovated in the 1700s.
- “Villa Tusculano” edified in the Napoleonic Age by count Leopoldo Armaroli on the project of the architect Giuseppe Nadi.
Not to be missed in Appignano:
Rural travellers appreciate the town and its surroundings, visiting for longer or shorter time, enjoying local cultures, landscapes and gastronomy.
“Bellente Il Brigante”, is the traditional summertime dinner with recipes from XIX-century’s dishes, taking place in the Municipio square of the town. All around the commensals, many dressed figurants revoke the town’s life-manners from 1812, influenced by those contradictions coming from the Napoleonic governance and the cultural heritage of the Papal sovereignty. You can expect historical and traditionally acclaimed characters playing and making a revival of those times, while enjoying dishes commonly appreciated in the local food culture.
With the start of the autumnal season, Appignano hosts another successful event: Leguminaria. For those who are keen lovers of pulses like chickpeas, beans, lentils and peas, this is a must!
Every dish is cooked respecting the “Granma recipe”, and will be served to you in terracotta bowls, crafted on purpose by the town vase masters.
For more information visit the event website: Leguminaria
The Sferisterio was constructed in between 1820 and 1829 on commission of the town well-off inhabitants, the Cento Consorti (“One-houndred consorts”.) The project was based on a work of Salvatore Innocenzi, but was eventually erected from the one of young Ireneo Aleandri, and was finally inaugurated in 1829.
Originally conceived as a sport venue for the Gioco della palla col bracciale, a traditional ball game that was very trendy and popular in the second half of the XIX century, the Sferisterio has throughout time hosted a diverse range of public shows, celebrating fests, organising amusement parks for children, horse parades, politic and sport manifestations, circus shows and corridas.
After a first series of theatre shows on the end of the XIX century, the 1900s would see the venue explore new artistic representations, such as opera. The overall harmony created by the architecture is emphasized by the balance given by the Neoclassic colonnade and the long straight wall together with the large open central room, creating a perfect frame for opera shows.
If you would like to know more on the venue program, visit the website of the Sferisterio.